Horry County officials say they are trying to determine how a mistake at an emergency call center led to a three-minute delay responding to a condominium fire that destroyed more than 100 home earlier this month.
Authorities say the initial 911 call on March 16 was sent to Myrtle Beach firefighters instead of Horry County firefighters. County spokeswoman Lisa Bourcier says officials don't know why that happened, but are investigating. She says they don't know if the extra three minutes would have made any difference.
The wildfire started near a power line less than 50 feet from the nearest building. It spread quickly in the dry, windy weather. Authorities say 26 buildings were destroyed in about 30 minutes, leaving 190 people homeless.