A 15-year-old Georgia boy
who is in desperate need of a new heart… gets some great news.
His family says doctors
changed their minds and put him on the heart transplant list.
Elizabeth Cohen explains
why the hospital said it left him off the list in the first place.
15-year-old Anthony Stokes will die if
he doesn't get a new heart in the next six months…but last week, doctors at
Children's Healthcare of Atlanta said they wouldn't give him one.
“They've given him a death
According to this letter, provided to
CNN by a family spokesman, doctors said Anthony was “currently not a
transplant candidate due to having a history of non-compliance.”
“They say that they don't have
any evidence showing that he would take his medicine and he wouldn't have any
follow up care.”
But a family spokesman said Anthony's
illness was sudden.
He'd never been sick before, so how
could he have been non-compliant with doctor's orders?
The family thinks they didn't want to
give Anthony a heart because he has low grades and was briefly in juvenile
detention because of a fight defending his younger brother.
News of the rejection drew national
And by late Monday… a dramatic
change of heart.
The family spokesman telling CNN the
hospital did a complete 180 and reversed the decision… that Anthony is now on
the transplant list they say…. and is waiting for a new heart.
The hospital didn't confirm that but
released a statement Tuesday saying: “a heart transplant evaluation is an
ongoing process based on the patient and his or her family's ability to meet
specific transplant criteria. While there has been misinformation circulating,
Children's cannot discuss the specifics of this case, or any other case, due to
However, the hospital also said:
“our physician experts are continuing to work with this family to
establish a care plan and determine the best next steps for the patient.”
The family thinks the hospital changed it's mind because
of media pressure and what it called the handiwork of God.