Augusta, GA – The organizers of the IRONMAN 70.3 Augusta have announced information concerning the event’s route and traffic plan.
Traffic will be affected along the event’s course from 4:00 a.m. Sunday morning until 6:00 p.m.
The 70.3 mile triathlon will begin at 7:30 a.m. with a 1.2-mile swim from the Augusta Riverwalk Marina to The Boathouse Community Center on Riverfront Drive. The athletes will then transition to the 56-mile cycling leg, which travels into South Carolina. The cycling leg will wind through Jackson and New Ellenton in Aiken County then return Aiken County, passing through Jackson and New Ellenton on the route. The cyclists will return to the transition area at The Boathouse, located on Riverfront Drive in Augusta, to begin the 13.1-mile run leg of the race.
Officials stress that safety along the route is critical for both the athletes and residents. There will be numerous security vehicles including local law enforcement and city vehicles assisting with road closures and safety. Please be aware of these officers, along with uniformed volunteer road marshals, who will be monitoring entrances and exits to homes and businesses. Officials add, if travels catch you in the midst of the competition, please remain where you are, enjoy the race and proceed safely when you can. Please be mindful of the 3,500+ athletes coming your way.
The first group of cyclists will take the route at approximately 8:00 a.m. Organizers anticipate roads to be clear by 3:00 p.m. The cyclists will start on Riverfront Drive. They will turn onto East Boundary then turn again on Sand Bar Ferry to begin the trek to Aiken County. Roads along the cycling route will be open to traffic. Major intersections will be monitored by law enforcement from the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office, Aiken County Sheriff’s Office, Jackson Police Department, and New Ellenton Police Department. Side streets will be monitored by volunteer course marshals from Fort Gordon.
Race organizers expect the leaders to begin the run at approximately 10:00 a.m. According to the race cut-off time, runners must be off the course by 6:00 p.m. On Greene and Reynolds Streets, one lane of traffic along the route will be designated for the race, with cones marking the circuit. Broad Street will closed to vehicle traffic from 13th Street to East Boundary. Motorists are encouraged to park on side streets.
The westbound lane of Broad Street between 8th Street and 9th Street will close Friday evening, September 25th and remain closed until 6:00 p.m. Sunday, September 27th.
Gordon Highway ramps will be closed at Broad Street and Bay Street from 4:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on September 27th.
The 5th Street Bridge will be closed from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. on September 27th.
No Parking Areas:
The following areas will be designated no parking areas from 4:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. September 27th:
Broad Street from East Boundary to 13th Street, including center parking bays.
Reynolds Street from East Boundary to Bay Street.
8th Street from Reynolds Street to Broad Street.
Bike Course Affected Roads:
(Affected Road, Direction/Lane, From, To,Time Closed)
- East Boundary southbound from Reynolds Street to Greene Street from 4:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Sand Bar Ferry eastbound from East Boundary to Old Jackson Highway from 7:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
- Old Jackson Highway southeast from Sand Bar Ferry to Atomic Road (S.C. Highway 125) from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
- Atomic Road (S.C. Highway 125) northbound from Old Jackson Highway to SRS-1 from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
- SRS-1 eastbound to Atomic Road (SC-125) to U.S. Highway 19 from 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- S.C. Highway 19 northbound to Old Whiskey Road from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- Old Whiskey Road northbound to S.C. Highway 19/Cherryvale Avenue from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- Cherryvale Avenue westbound to Old Whiskey Road/Woodland Drive from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- Woodland Drive westbound to Cherryvale Avenue South/U.S. Highway 278 from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- Gray Mare Hollow Road westbound to U.S. Highway 278/Silver Bluff Road (S.C. Highway) from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- Silver Bluff Road northbound to Gray Mare Hollow Road/Boyd Pond Road from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- Boyd Pond Road westbound to Silver Bluff Road/Horse Creek Road from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- Horse Creek Road northbound to Boyd Pond Road/Herndon Dairy Road from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- Herndon Dairy Road westbound to Boyd Pond Road/Pine Log Road from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- Pine Log Road southbound to Herndon Dairy Road/Atomic Road (S.C. Highway 125) from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Atomic Road (S.C. Highway 125) westbound to Pine Log Road to Sand Bar Ferry Road from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Sand Bar Ferry Road westbound to Prep Phillips Drive from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Run Course Affected Roads:
(Affected Road, Direction/Lane, From, To,Time Closed)
- Broad Street eastbound to 13th Street/East Boundary from 4:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Broad Street westbound to East Boundary/12th Street from 4:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- East Boundary southbound to Reynolds Street/Greene Street from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Greene Street eastbound to East Boundary/13th Street from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- 13th Street northbound to Greene Street/Broad Street from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- 12th Street to Broad Street/Jones Street from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Jones Street to 12th Street/10th Street from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- 10th Street to Jones Street/Reynolds Street from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- 8th Street to Reynolds Street/Broad Street from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Reynolds Street to 10th Street/Bay Street from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Bay Street to Reynolds Street/Reynolds Street from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.