Officials Warn Than Mold And Mildew Can Take Over As Flood Waters Recede

Consumer Alert graphic
Consumer Alert graphic

Columbia, SC – The thousands of individuals and families in South Carolina whose residences sustained water damage as a result of the October floods may now be confronting another threat to their homes and health — mold.

The South Carolina Emergency Management Division (SCEMD) is stressing that no one stay in a mold-infested home.

Mold facts

  • Mold can cause serious health problems as well as structural damage to a home when a property has experienced flooding.
  • Mold is a simple microscopic organism.
  • When present in large quantities, mold can cause respiratory problems, burning or watery eyes, skin irritations or nervous system disorders such as headaches and memory loss.
  • When waters flood a home or business, it may cause mold to grow on walls and flooring within 24 to 48 hours, and will continue to grow until steps are taken to eliminate the problem.

Dry out quickly to eliminate a mold problem:

  • Drying out thoroughly may help prevent immediate and long-term health problems. Allow areas to dry two to three days before replacing damaged materials.
  • Open the windows to fresh air. The humidity level inside a home or business can be lowered with a fan or dehumidifier, unless the mold has already begun to grow. Fans can spread existing mold. Closets and cabinets should be aired by keeping their doors open. Special drying materials that absorb water also are useful in drying out closed areas.
  • Remove all water and fix any leaks before cleaning. If wiring is wet or moldy, an electrician needs to check the entire system before turning the power on again.
  • Porous materials such as paper, rags, wallboard and rotten wood can trap mold and should be thrown out. Harder materials such as glass, plastic and metal can be cleaned and disinfected.

Cleaning Tips

To remove moldy materials you will need:

  • Buckets and trash bags
  • Scrub brush, sponges, and rags
  • Gloves (latex, rubber) and a painter’s or respirator mask
  • Broom, mop, and wet-dry shop vacuum
  • Non-ammonia soap or commercial cleaner (phenolic or pine-oil based)
  • Disinfectant, liquid chlorine bleach (1 cup of bleach to 1 gallon of water)
  • Wear a filter mask and gloves to avoid contact with the mold. Remove porous materials such as ceiling tiles, wallboard and wood products. If wallboard is flooded, measure and cut at least one foot above the high water mark and more if deemed necessary.
  • Carpeting can be a difficult problem, because drying does not remove the dead spores. If there is heavy mold, consider disposing of the carpet.
  • After thorough cleaning and rinsing, disinfect the area with a solution of household bleach and water, (1 cup of bleach per gallon of water). Never mix bleach with ammonia – the fumes are toxic.
  • Let disinfected areas dry naturally overnight to kill all the mold. For a large mold problem or if you are highly sensitive to mold, an experienced professional should do the work.

Housing assistance

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) says there first priority remains safe and sanitary housing for the survivors affected by the flooding. There is assistance available for those whose homes are unlivable. For more information on housing or other disaster assistance, register with FEMA one of three ways:

  1. Call 800-621-FEMA (3362). Help is available in most languages. People who have a speech disability or are deaf or hard of hearing may call (TTY) 800-462-7585; users of 711 or Video Relay Service can call 800-621-3362.
  2. Register online here.
  3. Register using a tablet or smartphone by clicking here.

For more information visit the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) website to learn more about flood clean up and indoor air quality.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s