Richmond, VA (WRIC) – A strong warning for pet owners: Veterinarians are reminding them that many Thanksgiving leftovers can have a dangerous effect on animals.
Dr. Andrew Gall is expecting a busy week at Carytown’s Veterinary Emergency and Specialty Center.
“Around this time of year we see a lot of dogs for eating human food,” Gall told WRIC 8News.
Pleading eyes from your pet can make it tempting to share your leftovers, but rich and fatty foods like turkey skin and gravy can cause serious abdominal issues for animals.
“I’m sure the pet would love it, but ultimately it can cause more harm than good,” he said.
And while it might seem like a good idea to give your pet turkey bones to chew on, cooked bones are actually very dangerous.
“Bones can cause significant abnormalities, can cause gastro-internal obstruction, perforation of the intestine and can lead to surgery if it’s bad enough,” said Gall.
Another Thanksgiving staple that can be hazardous to pets is stuffing. The traditional side often contains onions, which can be toxic to cats and dogs.
Your pets should also avoid garlic, which animal experts say is bad for their blood.
Finally, be aware that candy can be dangerous to pets. Chocolate is poisonous and can even be fatal for them.
So even though you want to share what you’re having, resist the temptation and only give them pet-approved treats.
If you notice symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea or abdominal pain in your pet, make an appointment with your veterinarian.