THE FLATS – Georgia Tech is back in the postseason. The Yellow Jackets drew the No. 2 seed in the NCAA Gainesville Regional and will play No. 3 seed UConn at 1 p.m. Friday on ESPN3.
Georgia Tech (36-23) will make its 31st NCAA Regional appearance in school history and the 20th under 23-year head coach Danny Hall. Tech has made 28 NCAA Regional appearances in the last 31 years, the third-most by any school during that same span (Florida State – 31, Miami – 31, LSU – 28).
It will be the fourth trip to an NCAA Regional hosted by Gainesville. Georgia Tech is 5-6 all-time in Gainesville Regionals, including a runner-up finish in 2012.
Tech was one of 10 ACC teams to earn an NCAA postseason bid. The 10 bids are an ACC single-season record, while tying the NCAA single-season mark.
For ticket information for the NCAA Gainesville Regional, click here.
GEORGIA TECH BASEBALL NOTES
- 31st NCAA Regional appearance in school history
- 28th in last 31 years (third-most in Division I)
- 20th in 23 years under head coach Danny Hall
- Georgia Tech will play UConn at 1 p.m. on Friday (1 p.m., ESPN3).
- Georgia Tech is 6-1 all-time vs. UConn.
- It will be the fourth time Tech plays in a Regional hosted by Florida (runner-up in 2012 Gainesville Regional); Tech is 5-6 all-time in Gainesville Regionals.
- Georgia Tech is 61-50 all-time in NCAA Regional play (does not include Super Regionals or College World Series)
- Senior Matt Gonzalez has 294 career hits – NCAA’s active leader, needs six more to become only third player in school history 300+ career hits
- Gonzalez was lone GT representative on 2016 ACC All-Tournament Team
- Junior Matthew Gorst’s 0.41 ERA is Tech’s new single-season record holder in ERA (previous mark of 1.07 by Mike Sorrow, 1971)
Stay tuned to RamblinWreck.com for more information on tickets, complete NCAA Gainesville Regional schedule, and comments from head coach Danny Hall and Tech players.
2016 NCAA GAINESVILLE REGIONAL
Friday, June 3
Game 1 – #2 Georgia Tech (36-23) vs. #3 UConn (37-23), 1 p.m. (ESPN3)
Game 2 – #1 Florida (47-13) vs. #4 Bethune-Cookman (29-25), 6 p.m. (SEC Network)