Prince died of accidental Opioid overdose says official

In this Aug. 9, 2011 file photo, U.S. musician Prince performs during his concert at the Sziget Festival on the Shipyard Island, northern Budapest, Hungary. The enigmatic star flew into London on Tuesday, Feb. 4, 2014, at the start of a still-evolving string of dates in support of forthcoming album "Plectrum Electrum," recorded with all-female trio 3RDEYEGIRL. (AP Photo/MTI, Balazs Mohai, File)

CHICAGO (AP) – The Minnesota medical examiner says the music superstar died of an accidental overdose of the powerful painkiller Fentanyl.

The National Institute on Drug Abuse says Fentanyl is a powerful synthetic opiate more potent than morphine.

It is used to treat patients with severe pain, or to manage pain after surgery.

“In its prescription form, fentanyl is known as Actiq, Duragesic, and Sublimaze. Street names for the drug include Apache, China girl, China white, dance fever, friend, goodfella, jackpot, murder 8, TNT, as well as Tango and Cash,” according to their website.

They say it is also sometimes used to treat people with chronic pain who are physically tolerant to opiates.

The 57-year-old singer was found dead April 21 at his Minneapolis-area estate.

Investigators have been reviewing whether Prince died of an overdose and whether a doctor was prescribing him drugs in the weeks before his death.

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s