AUGUSTA, Ga. (WJBF) – As Hurricane Matthew approaches the Southeast, many schools in the CSRA (especially in South Carolina) are closing and/or rescheduling their Friday night football games. We will have an extended 11 p.m. sportscast Thursday night to show highlights of local Georgia high school football games and our Game Night Live broadcast. Football Friday Night will air as scheduled at 11:35 p.m. Friday evening.
More makeup dates and times for postponed games have been announced:
Wednesday, October 5th
- Augusta Christian 35, Robert E. Lee 56
Thursday, October 6th
- Westminster at Augusta Prep – 7:30pm (Game Night Live – ME-TV)
- Greenbrier at Lakeside – 7pm
- Jefferson County at Harlem – 7pm
- Ware Shoals at McCormick – 7pm
- Johnson County at Jenkins County – 7:30pm
- Cross Creek at Burke County – 7:30pm
- Baldwin at ARC – 7:30pm
- Thomson at Hephzibah – 7:30pm
Friday, October 7th (as scheduled)
- Aquinas at Warren County – 7:30pm
- Hancock Central at Lincoln County – 7:30pm
In South Carolina, all football games have been postponed this week. The SCHSL released this statement Wednesday afternoon on adding an additional week to the end of the regular season:
The SCHSL has extended the regular season for football to add a Week 11. All games (varsity and sub-varsity) originally scheduled for this week (Oct. 3rd – 7th), that have been postponed due to evacuations and/or weather may be moved to the week of October 31st – November 4th. Regular scheduled games for weeks 8, 9 and 10 will remain as scheduled. Additionally, the football playoffs for all classifications will now begin on November 11th, and the State Championships will now be scheduled for December 9th and 10th. NOTE: Teams are still limited to their maximum number of contests for the regular season.
Most schools have decided to take advantage of the extra week and play their makeup games on Friday, November 4th.