(WJBF) – In Augusta, thousands of evacuees have made their way to the Garden City, many of them taking shelter in area schools.
Because those schools are being used as shelters, Richmond County Schools have cancelled classes for Monday.
School officials say as of now, the plan is to have students and staff back in class by Tuesday.
The city has a 10-year-old agreement with Chatham County to shelter up to 5-thousand people and 500 pets.
(WJBF) – A number of schools across the CSRA are closing due to Hurricane Matthew.
The reason for this is that schools throughout South Carolina will serve as shelter sites for people and families evacuating from highly impacted areas such as the coast.
South Aiken High School will be the primary shelter site in Aiken County.
USC Aiken will be open on Wednesday. Classes will meet at their regular time.
These schools and districts will be closed through Friday unless otherwise noted:
- Bamberg School District 2
- Aiken County
- Allendale County
- Barnwell County
- Second Baptist Christian Preparatory School
- Millbrook Child Development Center, Mother’s Day Out, Preschool and Child Care Center
- Denmark Technical College
- Horse Creek Academy
- Aiken Technical College will be closed Thursday through Sunday
- Georgia Southern University will be closed through Saturday
SC Governor Nikki Haley says government buildings will also shut down to keep the roadways clear.