London high-rise fire leaves 79 dead or missing

Parts of the building still burn hours after a deadly blaze at a high rise apartment block in London, Wednesday, June 14, 2017. Fire swept through a high-rise apartment building in west London early Wednesday, killing an unknown number of people with around 50 people being taken to hospital. (AP Photo/Alastair Grant)

UPDATE: LONDON (AP) — The Latest on the London high-rise fire (all times local):

11 a.m.

Britain has held a moment of silence for the 79 people who are believed to have died in the high-rise fire in West London.

Emergency service workers bowed their heads in respect to the victims of the catastrophic blaze.

The fire ripped through the 24-story tower early Wednesday. Two British officials have said that new exterior cladding used in a renovation of Grenfell Tower may have been banned under U.K. building regulations. The paneling has been blamed for quickly spreading the flames.

___

10:45 a.m.

London police say that the number of dead or missing in the high-rise apartment building fire is now 79.

Police Commander Stuart Cundy gave the new figure during a statement outside Scotland Yard on Monday. The previous figure given was 58.

Cundy says the new number may change as investigation continues. He said that the search and recovery operation in the 24-story Grenfell Tower continues, and it has been incredibly distressing for families.

He said that “it’s hard to describe the devastation the fire has caused.” Cundy added that authorities are investigating whether any crimes had been committed in the fire.

Two British officials said Sunday that new exterior cladding used in a renovation of Grenfell Tower may have been banned under U.K. building regulations.


UPDATE: (WJBF) – Police are now saying the number of dead or missing is now at 79 in London high-rise fire.

Police gave the new figure during a press conference early Monday morning.

Officials say the search and recovery operation in the 24-story Grenfell Tower continues.

The cause of the fire is still under investigation.


LONDON (ABC News) – Rescue workers continued to search for survivors on Thursday a day after a deadly fire swept through a London high-rise, but officials admitted it would be a “miracle” if more people were found alive as the death toll rose to 17.

“Tragically now we are not expecting to find anyone else alive,” London Fire Commissioner Dany Cotton told Sky News early Thursday. “The severity and the heat of the fire will mean that it will be an absolute miracle for anyone to be left alive.”

As the search operations continued, authorities braced for the death toll to increase. In addition to the deceased, nearly 80 others were injured at the inferno at Grenfell Tower in North Kensington, which erupted early Wednesday morning. Of the injured, 18 people were listed in critical condition.

Cotton confirmed that there was still “unknown numbers” of people in the still-smoldering wreckage as of early Thursday morning.

“Due to the severity of the fire and the way things are, it will take a long time for us to be able to do that search to properly identify anyone who is left in the building, but we will do that as soon as we can in conjunction with the police,” Cotton said. “There are, as we believe, still unknown numbers of people in the building.”

Cotton commended rescue workers for doing “absolutely sterling work” and said her team hoped to conduct a fingertip search of the building once its edges were deemed secure.

The fire reportedly started at around 1 a.m. local time Wednesday on the fourth floor of the 24-story residential building. The cause of the fire is still unknown, but U.K. Prime Minister Theresa May, who visited the site on Thursday morning, promised a “proper investigation” into the incident.

Some tenants had previously complained about the upkeep of the tower, specifically warning about the fire risk. In November, a residents’ group, Grenfell Action Group, said that only a “catastrophic event” would expose the concerns it had about the building’s landlord, according to a blog post from the group.

It was not clear exactly how many residents were in the building, but the tower, built in 1974, contained 120 apartments, according to its management company, Kensington and Chelsea Tenant Management Organisation.

Family and friends of residents have posted missing persons bulletins all throughout the North London area, while others have shared images of loved ones who are unaccounted for.

London Ambulance Service said that as of Thursday morning, 68 people had been taken to local hospitals and another 10 people had self-reported and been accounted for. Other survivors have been asked to self-report at Portobello Rugby Club in London and “make themselves known.”

Fire officials said it took nearly two hours to gain control of the massive fire. The London Fire Brigade dispatched at least 40 fire engines, 20 ambulance crews and more than 200 firefighters in an effort to battle the conflagration.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s